Friday 27 May 2011

Hanna with Hannah

Been meaning to write this post for about 2 weeks now...


Went to see Joe Wright's 'Hanna' after our horrible Design Theory exam, both Hannah and me (Hannah is my uni side kick, hence the 'Hanna with Hannah' 'joke') decided we wanted a 'kick ass' film, considering our moods after the stress of revision all week.

I did think the trailer looked good, but it's one of those films I thought I wouldn't mind seeing but if I don't get to then I'll see it on TV. Wasn't that fussed...

However, it was actually very very good and on the big screen it seemed to make it that much more...exciting, I doubt you could get the same effect in your living room.


The story is about a German girl, Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) raised by her father Erik (Eric Bana) to be the perfect assassin. She is then sent on a mission to kill Marissa (Cate Blanchett) basically before she kills her. Que a lot of action scenes involving a 16 year old girl killing the 'bad guys'.

I was on the edge of my seat throughout the film, there isn't a slow 'boring' explanation part where you kinda wanna just shout 'come on, bring on the action!' it genuinely didn't stop for a second.


Some people may not like the fact the story wasn't explained at the beginning, you had to work out the reason for what was happening while you watched and literally the full story didn't become clear until about 20 minutes from the end. I don't mind this, as I think it keeps you guessing. It  didn't ruin the story, it was one of those films where you sit back as the credits roll and think 'ahhhh' as the penny drops.....

When everything was explained I did find it a slight let down, just because of how amazing the film had been so far the end explanation was a little lame, and the details weren't made that clear. If it wasn't for brilliant acting and action shots, it could have ruined the film but luckily I think they pulled it off.


Cate Blanchett was a very impressive 'bitch'. She played the part of nasty Marissa Wiegler very well, and the German accent just added to the creepy evilness. 


I have to mention Tom Hollander (Isaacs) now I don't know if his part was supposed to have a slight comedy value but he definitely made us laugh, just his overall appearance throughout was comical. Awfully dyed blonde hair that looked glued onto his head, his terrible shell suit outfits, and his 'pathetic guy trying to be tough guy' act is just laughable. I'm not saying he did a bad job, his character was brilliant, but if they didn't want to make people laugh then maybe he wasn't best for the part.

Also another comedy element in the film are the family Hanna travels with and becomes best friends with their daughter Sophie who is a classic character and really cheers up the mood of the film. 
If their was one thing I was confused about when I left the cinema was that we never get told what actually happened to the family when they were caught, I didn't know whether we were to presume they had been killed once they had given all the information they had or whether they escaped/let go?? 
Highly doubtful when everyone Marissa came in contact with ended up dead. A shame they weren't referred to at any point at the end or maybe a reference to the friendship bracelets would of been nice, so that was a slight disapointment. 

Apart from that the overall film was very enjoyable and definitely had me leaving the cinema thinking 'I wanna fight like that!'


So if your a fan of films such as Kill Bill and action films like James Bond (without the cheese) then this is a film for you. It's definitely worth seeing and I don't think its got the recognition it deserves. 
It's visually stunning and the acting is pretty faultless. Very much action all the way, however hints of comedy and 'real life' make this much more than just a killing spree. 
You'll find yourself falling in love with the character Hanna and her need for a normal childhood.

Hanna gets 8/10 from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment