Sunday 17 April 2011

The worst film ever???

I just had to mention this!

Last night, as I settled down to a night of design developments (fml) I was looking for a film that could keep me awake through the work load...I discovered the weirdest film...(except for the film Funny Games (2007), which me and some friends stumbled across. That is possibly the strangest film ever....leaves you with a face like..  o.O whhhattt????) anyway...

So in the TV guide, it said Dreamcatcher - 2003 - Morgan Freeman - 2 Stars.


So I'm thinking, well if it's got Freeman in it....it's gotta be good, I usually ignore star ratings, as most of the time I don't agree with them, I don't really understand how a film can be rated when people have different tastes and like different things, therefore Ive learnt to judge for myself.

I didn't have a clue what it was about, or the genre or who else was in it, so it was a pretty random choice, but it started off with 4 guys that can read peoples minds...(think 'What Women Want') I was shocked to see the cast get better and better, names including Thomas Jane (The Punisher & The Mist), Damian Lewis (Band of Brothers & The Escapist), Jason Lee (My Name is Earl & Vanilla Sky) and Timothy Olyphant (Die Hard 4.0 & The Crazies). So once again I'm thinking it MUST be good....


After the first half hour of complete confusion....skipping backwards and forwards past and present without any reason, the film starts randomly, leaving you guessing whats actually going on and what it's all about, the characters just start reading peoples minds like it's normal...it was very messed up, definitely not one to watch while trying to get on with uni work....definitely needs all your attention, well so I thought...

Then the film suddenly takes a humorous route...more 'Cabin Fever' the film goes from being a drama to a comedy horror, with the characters taking a trip to a log cabin out of the blue, without much relevance to the storyline so far...then the 'horror' begins (I use the word horror loosely, it's difficult to take Jason Lee seriously) throw in some 'infected' people and the wonderful 'butt worms' (niiicee) and we get a lot of blood....I must admit it did make me laugh at times, but I don't think it was actually meant to, it was stupidly unreal it was hard not to...so I'm settling into the fact this is a 'dieseas ridden monster film' when whatdayaknow!!! BOOM!! Lets throw in some aliens for good measure...

yep I'm not exaggerating, we have now gone from drama, to horror, to comedy, to sci-fi?? hmmm I found myself getting annoyed and the twist and turns in this film....(imagine the way Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was ruined by aliens, well this went the same way)


The film pretty much carries on this way, it was as if the director Lawrence Kasdan couldn't decide what genre to make this film, although including aliens was probably a sure thing for him (writer of some of the Star Wars films). I will say, I did keep watching until the very end, I was intrigued to see how this could possibly end, and yes the ending was just as disappointing as the rest of the film....after 150 minutes of confusion, I felt like I'd just lost valuable hours of my life...

What a let down Morgan Freeman was! Well not him personally but the part was dreadful...why cast such a big name and have him in hardly any scenes and make his character more or less 'a waste of space'?? I'm shocked that he actually accepted to be in such a film...but each to their own.


All in all, a very interestingly weird film. I honestly don't even know how to sum it up. Maybe it was me, and I just didn't 'get it' but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. On a positive note, I thought Damian Lewis was very good and an interesting lead part. Worth watching if you want to experience the sheer madness, but don't bother if you have better things to do :)

Overall 2/10  

sorry!




No comments:

Post a Comment